Sunday, May 23, 2010

Knitting has actually been occurring here. This is the start of the candle flame shawl (pattern is on Ravelry...but there are corrections) and I think it's going to be stunning. Not to mention warm. I put it away for awhile since the temperature has ratcheted up exceedingly fast for this time of year. Today was in the 80*s and rather humid from all the rain we've had the last few days. On Friday it was crazy!We had so much rain so fast that the wall in the basement had trickles of water running down them from the rain coming down the front of the house and just coming against the house. I suppose I need to put down some more mulch. That probably will help stop rain. Although when it's coming down in sheets and gushing down the street, it's hard to say if anything will stop it at that point.
We had gone to Trader Joe's earlier in the day...they FINALLY got in their gluten-free waffles (yah for mom!) and by the time we had checked out it was absolutely teaming down. Of course I was wearing a cotton shirt and capris and by the time I went out to get the car I was totally drenched. All the way to my underoos. A most miserable drive home. And the seats in the car are fabric so I didn't want to lean back and soak it. And then the inside of the car steamed up so much we couldn't even see out the windows. A most unfortunate trip. I was so glad to get home and change and dry my hair. Then, of course, it got much warmer out and I was dressed for cooler weather. By then I had just given up.
Found some lovely blackberries on sale yesterday and made the most delicious basil-blackberry crisp with balsamic vinegar and it so soooo good. Quite different with the basil. I probably should've gotten more basil plants since I practically stand over mine and wait for the leaves to grow! And I am proud to announce -I have 8 tomatoes on my plant!! I can't wait for them to be ready.
I'm also putting together some blackberry soy cream and a wonderful apple-arugula salad for tomorrow. When it starts warming up all I want is fruit and cold dishes and salads.
I am almost finished with the sampler vest. I tried it on the other day and it was a few inches shorter than I would've liked. Since the bottom is a garter stitch border I just seamed it up and picked up stitches and continued it on for another few inches. It looks much better. I am now on the border around the front edges and neck. Over 300 stitches so it takes awhile to get through a row. But I feel very satisfied when I get to the end.
Off to finish knitting (so I can start something else!). Stay cool.

No comments: