Sunday, February 20, 2011

Been busy knitting away. Finished mom's vest (whew!) and decided to make myself a short-sleeved cardigan for spring. I had some Lion Brand Pound of Love lying around and thought I might as well get some use out of it. The color is Bubblegum and the pattern is from Lion Brand's website...it's called the Weekend Retreat Cardi and is knit from the neck down. So far I think I will really like it. A fairly fast knit and pretty mindless so I can watch videos while knitting.
Just finished watching PBS's "1940's House" and I quite enjoyed it.
Had some lovely weather this week, which is unusual for this time of year. My birthday was the 17th and I actually wore a short-sleeved teeshirt. Last year we had over 10" of snow. Got some fun things for presents....some yarn (gasp-what a surprise!) A skein of Noro Silk Garden and a pattern from a local designer for a funky, spiral-y scarf that looked really cool on the sales clerk. Very intriguing looking pattern. I'll keep you posted.
Also bought some Mango Moon recycled sari silk. I've been looking at it for years and finally caved. I found some shawl patterns on Ravelry for it and I think that I will make one of those with it.
Went over to Borders this morning. The really depressing news is that they are closing that store and they are having their going out of business sale.
I would have thought that this was the store they would leave open, out of the 3 they have here. It's the largest, most centrally located one but, no. I shop there all the time but no more. There is a Barnes and Noble right around the corner but I always preferred Borders. The rewards were free and they always sent really good coupons. I was going to go over yesterday and use my 33% off coupons but when I got there they were already having the discounted sales. 20% off all books, which meant I couldn't use my coupons :( . Plus (and I am not exaggerating at all) there must have been at least 150 people in line. They lined all the way from the front registers around all the stacks and through to the back of the store. No thanks! So I ran over this morning to be there when they opened. They told me the wait yesterday was at least 45 minutes to an hour. Some people were in line with just a magazine! I understand that they were 40% off but I wouldn't stand that long for just one little thing!
Well, the weather today is freezing rain today and chilly so I am brewing a pot of Blackberry Sage tea and I am going to try and finish my sweater. Keep warm!



No comments: