Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Here is what I did over the holiday weekend. Well, the fun part anyway. This is my new dyed yarn. It's KnitPicks Bare merino in a fingering weight and dyed with Wilton food coloring. Just 3 colors ...Royal Blue, Egg yellow and Fuschia made all the wonderful colors.

Easy to do with the microwave and I get so carried away with the dye that it's hard to stop. Here it is after being tediously rolled into a ball.

The colors are very cool.
I'm knitting a pair of plain socks with purls every so often to highlight some of the colors.

I have 3 more skeins of the Peruvian wool fingering weight that I was going to dye for socks but have decided to use for my swirl shawl. I didn't really have enough yarn (1100 yards of fingering) so I was going to double some lace weight that I have stashed. But, lo and behold, I can make my own for it so that is what I will do! I bought some great neon food colors at Krogers the other day and I bet it will make great yarn.

The weekend was fine. I was mowing the lawn the other day and forgot to put the gas cap back on after I filled the tank (duh) and ran over it and it shot down the driveway into the street. I didn't see it at the time since I was in the side yard by that time and spent a good 15 minutes searching in the yard for it. When I stopped and traced my steps I realized that it had rolled all the way down the drive into the four-lane street....arrrggghhhhh! Needless to say, the mower chewed it up quite nicely. Good job for me as it's not even 2 months old. So off to the Home Depot to buy a universal cap. It didn't look like the one I had ( smart me, I took the cap with me) and the sales clerk opened the package and then we went to the display of mowers and made sure it fit. Certainly was a deal for a $5.00 cap. But now the mower has a lovely new "lid" and the gas stays in, so all's well that ends well.

Just had the most wicked thunderstorm rolling through earlier. The thunder was so loud and the lightening was right overhead and it seemed like it was practically in the house. The booming was so loud at times that the house shook and I jumped about 2 feet in the air everytime it thundered. And it poured. Looked like the heavens opened. Thank God that's over. And no harm but some water in the basement by the walls. It was rushing over the gutters in streams and just running down the front of the house down into the basement. When it rains like that I don't think there is anything you can do to stop it but start mopping and putting down rags. But it is much cooler out right now so that's always nice.

1 comment:

VeganCraftastic said...

The yarn you dyed looks lovely!